Provisions on the Evaluation of Overseas Credentials of Chinese Service Center for Scholarly Exchange (implemented from January 1, 2018)
Release time: January 8, 2018
Chapter I General Provisions
Article 1 [Legal basis]
In order to improve the professional level of Overseas Credential Evaluation and guarantee the scientificity, accuracy, continuity and authoritativeness of Credential Evaluation, the Chinese Service Center for Scholarly Exchange (hereinafter referred to as “Service Center”) hereby formulates the Evaluation Provisions (hereinafter referred to as the “Provisions”) in accordance with the provisions of relevant laws and regulations of the People's Republic of China (PRC) and relevant rules of education administrative departments under the State Council.
Article 2 [Goal]
The Credential Evaluation work aims to implement the study-abroad policy of the PRC, promote international exchanges in education, satisfy the actual demands of the holders of overseas credentials, degree certificates and higher education diplomas for enrolment, employment and participation in various qualification exams in the PRC, and provide relevant advisory opinions for work units and enrolment units within the territory of the PRC to identify overseas credentials, degree certificates and higher education diplomas.
Article 3 [Principle]
The Service Center carries out its Overseas Credential Evaluation work based on the principles of openness and fairness, objectivity and independence, scientific accuracy and honesty.
Article 4 [Concept definition]
The credentials, degree certificates and higher education diplomas referred to in the Provisions are qualification certificates which are defined by related laws and regulations of the PRC, international conventions concluded or joined by the PRC, as well as related laws and regulations of other countries and issued by higher educational institutions.
Article 5 [evaluation contents]
The main contents of Credential Evaluation include:
- Provide evaluation of the legality of issuing agencies of overseas credentials, degree certificates and higher education diplomas;
- Provide evaluation of the authenticity of degree certificates and higher education credentials with the function of an academic degree issued by overseas universities or other higher educational institutions;
- Provide advisory opinions on the corresponding relationship between overseas credentials and degrees and Chinese academic credentials and degrees;
- Issue Evaluation Reports for overseas credentials, degree certificates or higher education diplomas which have passed evaluation.
Article 6 [Evaluation scope provided]
The Service Center only provides evaluation services for the following certificates:
(1) The corresponding overseas credentials, degree certificates and higher education diplomas obtained by studying at foreign universities or other higher educational institutions;
(2) The corresponding overseas credentials, degree certificates and higher education diplomas obtained by studying in Chinese-foreign cooperative education institutions (projects) legally established (running) within the territory of mainland China;
(3) The corresponding academic credentials, degree certificates and higher education diplomas obtained by studying at universities or other higher educational institutions in Taiwan;
(4) The corresponding academic credentials, degree certificates and higher education diplomas obtained by studying at universities or other higher educational institutions in the Macao Special Administrative Region of China;
(5) The academic credentials, degree certificates above bachelor’s degree (including bachelor’s degree) and higher education diplomas obtained by studying at universities or other higher educational institutions in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China.
Article 7 [Evaluation scope not provided temporarily]
The following overseas certificates are temporarily beyond the scope of Credential Evaluation:
- Graduation (completion) certificates obtained by participating in foreign language training or studying other non-degree education courses;
- Research experience proofs and postdoctoral research proofs of further education personnel and visiting scholars;
- Preparatory course proofs issued by overseas institutions of higher learning or other higher educational institutions;
- Overseas non-higher education diplomas, honorary titles and honorary degree certificates that do not require relevant learning or research experience;
- Overseas credentials, degree certificates and higher education diplomas obtained illegally or against the rules, and overseas credentials, degree certificates and higher education diplomas not recognized by the home country;
- Cross-border distance learning overseas credentials, degree certificates and higher education diplomas;
- Various overseas vocational (practicing) qualification certificates.
Article 8 [Amendment condition]
The Service Center may make corresponding adjustments in its evaluation procedures and method of credential evaluation, as well as in the type, format and content of evaluation results according to actual demands.
Chapter II Application and Information Management
Article 9 [Application method]
The Overseas Credential Evaluation can be applied for in the form of an online submission or an online submission combined with a written submission.
In order to facilitate the Service Center’s verification of the authenticity of diplomas and certificates with relevant organs, the applicant should sign the verification Consent Letter when formally submitting the evaluation application.
The applicant must register on the Overseas Credential Evaluation system and agree the Overseas Credential Evaluation Service User Agreement when using the services provided by the Service Center.
Article 10 [Application materials]
The application materials for Overseas Credential Evaluation include:
- Overseas credentials, degree certificates or higher education diplomas to be evaluated;
- Travel documents used during the period of studying abroad (ID card or the identity page of household register if the applicant has not left the country);
- One 35*53mm (or 33*48mm) ID photo;
- Verification Consent Letter signed for overseas credentials, degree certificates or higher education diplomas;
- Other related materials required by the Service Center, or other related materials submitted by relevant overseas agencies to cooperate in verification requirements.
Article 11 [Application confirmation]
After receiving the Credential Evaluation application formally submitted by the applicant, the Service Center will send the Confirmation Notice to the applicant, and inform the applicant of its progress in the evaluation inquiry.
Article 12 [Authenticity statement]
The Service Center is entitled to ask the applicant to provide relevant information and materials necessary for credential evaluation and ensure their authenticity, effectiveness and integrity. If the Service Center suspects that the evaluation results are inconsistent with the facts due to the provision of false, incomplete and inaccurate information or materials by the applicant, the applicant must undertake the resulting consequences by himself/herself.
Article 13 [Supplementary proof]
The Service Center may request the applicant to offer supplementary information and materials as required during the process of evaluation.
Article 14 [Evaluation period]
The Service Center releases and adjusts the evaluation period necessary for each country (category) as the case may be. If the evaluation period is extended due to force majeure, the Service Center will notify the applicant and inform the specific reasons for the extension of the evaluation period.
Article 15 [Charging basis]
The Service Center charges evaluation service fee from Credential Evaluation applicants according to the charging standards determined by related national departments.
The Service Center will not return the evaluation service fee to the applicant who cannot pass evaluation due to the submission of false information or materials or other reasons.
Article 16 [Information protection liability]
The Service Center protects non-public information in Credential Evaluation application materials submitted by the applicants according to law.
Chapter III Evaluation Results
Article 17 [Contents of evaluation results]
The evaluation results issued by the Service Center include:
- Overseas credentials evaluation report;
- Evaluation report of credentials from the Hong Kong and Macao Special Administrative Regions;
- Evaluation report of credentials from Taiwan;
- Evaluation report of credentials from Chinese-foreign cooperative education establishments;
- Notice of non-evaluation temporarily;
- Other evaluation results issued by the Service Center.
Article 18 [Relief approach]
If the applicant is dissatisfied with the evaluation results, he/she can apply for one free evaluation review within 12 months after receiving the evaluation results, and the Service Center will review the evaluation process and results based on the Provisions, and inform the applicant of the review results and handling suggestions after completion.
If the applicant raises an objection to the evaluation results after 12 months following the receipt of evaluation results, he/she should resubmit the evaluation application to the Service Center according to procedure, and pay the Evaluation Service Fee based on the Credential Evaluation charging standards. The Service Center may refuse to accept the second evaluation application if there are no substantial major changes in application materials.
The Service Center only provides one evaluation review for the same application.
Article 19 [Period of online inquiry]
For Evaluation Reports issued in Overseas Credential Evaluation systems after January 1, 2006, in the Credential Evaluation systems of Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan after August 1, 2008 and in Overseas Credential Evaluation systems of Chinese-foreign cooperative education establishments after January 1, 2013, the applicant may conduct an online inquiry on the Service Center website.
If the evaluation results cannot be found on the internet or the information found online is inconsistent with paper evaluation results, the employing units and relevant organs may inquire as to the authenticity of specific evaluation results in writing.
Article 20 [Limitation of objective conditions]
In cases where the Service Center cannot confirm the relevant information of overseas credentials, degree certificates or higher education diplomas through verification, or evaluation encounters an obstacle, the Service Center can issue the notice of non-evaluation temporarily to the corresponding evaluation application.
Article 21 [Matters beyond evaluation content]
The Service Center is entitled to carry out evaluation work on evaluation content and items within the evaluation scope. For non-evaluation content and items beyond the evaluation scope, the Service Center will not provide evaluation services or assume relevant liabilities.
Article 22 [Evaluation revocation]
If it is found that the applicant provided inaccurate information or false materials after the issuance of evaluation results, or institutions issuing or awarding diplomas or certificates revoked diplomas or certificates for different reasons, or other facts contrary to the issued evaluation results, the Service Center may initiate a evaluation review of the related evaluation application, and modify or revoke evaluation results based on the review results.
Article 23 [Consequences of violation against authenticity]
If the evaluation results deviate from the actual situation due to the applicant’s provision of forged, altered or other false materials or incorrect information, the Service Center shall not bear the related liability; refuses to accept any evaluation application proposed by involved personnel in accordance with the Disposal Method for Dishonest Behavior in Overseas Credential Evaluation Service Application Materials (Trial); and reserves the right to resort to public security organs to investigate the legal liability of involved personnel according to law.
Applicants involved in dishonest behavior will be included in the Blacklist for Dishonest Behavior in Overseas Credential Evaluation Service, and the Service Center will share the relevant information with credit reporting agencies and other relevant departments, and build a joint punishment system for dishonest behavior in Overseas Credential Evaluation.
Chapter IV Miscellaneous
Article 24 [Power of interpretation]
The Chinese Service Center for Scholarly Exchange has the final power of interpretation for the Provisions.
Article 25 [Implementation time and effect]
The Provisions shall be implemented as of the date of release.
The Provision is the amendment to the Overseas Credential Evaluation Service Standard (Trial) of Chinese Service Center for Scholarly Exchange (abbreviated as the “Standard”) released on December 30, 2009.
The evaluation results issued before the Provision comes into force are still applicable to the Standard. All related applications unfinished after the Provision comes into force and newly-submitted are applicable to the Provision.
After the Provision comes into force, if the evaluation results previously issued by the Service Center require review, the Service Center can execute this according to the Provision if they don’t comply with the Standard, and will execute it according to the Standard if they comply with the Standard.